Current GK on 28 December 2021
International Day of Epidemic Preparedness 2021 – December 27
The United Nations(UN)’s International Day of Epidemic Preparedness is annually observed across the globe on 27th December to create awareness about the importance of the prevention of, preparedness for and partnership against epidemics.
• The 27th December 2021 marks the observance of the 2nd International Day of Epidemic Preparedness.
To raise awareness, the exchange of information, scientific knowledge and best practices, quality education, and advocacy programmes on epidemics at the local, national, regional and global levels as a measure to prevent and respond to epidemics.
Vishwavir Ahuja Steps down as the MD & CEO of RBL Bank; Rajeev Ahuja takes over
The board of the RBL Bank has accepted to proceed with the medical leave of Vishwavir Ahuja, the Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of RBL Bank Ltd, the erstwhile Ratnakar Bank Ltd. Vishwavir Ahuja will step down from the post of MD & CEO and go on leave with immediate effect.
Rajeev Ahuja, Executive Director of the RB L Bank has been appointed as the interim managing director & CEO of the RBL Bank, with immediate effect, subject to regulatory and other approvals.
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) invoked Section 36 AB (power of RBI to appoint additional directors) contained in Part 2A (Control over Management) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, to appoint Yogesh Dayal, chief general manager of RBI, as an additional director on the board of RBL Bank for a period of 2 years till 23rd December 2023 or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Japan launches Inmarsat-6 F1 Communications Satellite into Geostationary Orbit
Japan has launched Inmarsat-6 F1, a communication satellite, through a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’ (MHI) H-IIA204 rocket from Japan’s Tanegashima Space Center that will enter geostationary orbit, about 22,240 miles (35,790 kilometers) above earth.
• It is developed by the London-based company Inmarsat as a part of its next-generation satellite broadband service.
• The satellite is 12,060-pound (5,470 kilograms) and is the first of two ‘I-6’ spacecraft.
NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope launched from French Guiana, South America
On December 25, 2021, NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), an infrared telescope, launched through the Arianespace’s heavy-lift Ariane 5 rocket from the European Space Agency’s (ESA) spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana, on South America’s northeast coast.
• It is named after James Edwin Webb, one of the architects of the Apollo Moon programme.
• This 14,000-pound (around 6350 Kg) instrument is a successor to the Hubble Space Telescope (1990-till date), and Spitzer space telescope (2003-2020).
• It will be positioned at a spot called Lagrange Point 2 (L2), 1.5million kilometers from earth or more than four times beyond the moon.
• Its commissioning in space will take 6 months.
• The mission span is between 5-15 years.
• JWST is NASA’s largest and most powerful space science telescope ever constructed.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Desmond Tutu Dies at 90 Years
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and a veteran of South Africa’s struggle against white minority rule, died at the age of 90 in Cape town.
• He won the Nobel Peace prize in 1984 in recognition of his non-violent opposition to South Africa’s brutal apartheid regime.
• He chaired a Truth and Reconciliation Commission which was set up to unearth atrocities committed.
VP Venkaiah Naidu Launched the Book ‘Dr V L Dutt: Glimpses of a Pioneer’s Life Journey’ by V L Indira Dutt
M Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President(VP) of India, launched the book titled ‘Dr V L Dutt: Glimpses of a Pioneer’s Life Journey’ authored by Dr V L Indira Dutt, Chairperson and Managing Director(CMD) of KCP Group, in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• The book is based on the life of Late Velagapudi Lakshmana Dutt(V.L. Dutt), the former Chairman of KCP Group. He was an industrialist, philanthropist and visionary.
LAST MONTHS G.K.