EIA draft must be withdrawn to stop 'environmental destruction': Rahul
New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi stepped up his attack on the Centre over the draft environment impact assessment (EIA), saying it must be withdrawn to stop "environmental destruction".
BJP, Congress leaders on toes as Manipur MLAs to participate in trust vote in Assembly
The BJP and the Congress leaders are on their toes as legislators in Manipur will vote on a confidence motion to be moved by Chief Minister N Biren Singh during a special one-day session of the Assembly on Monday.
Defence minister to launch 'Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah' on Aug 11
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will launch the ''Atmanirbhar Bharat Saptah'' on Monday, an official statement said.
Complaints filed against Assam BJP MLA over controversial remarks
Over half-a-dozen complaints have been filed against controversial Assam BJP MLA Shiladitya Dev by various organisations days after he termed revered scholar Syed Abdul Malik an "intellectual jihadi".
Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under security law
Hong Kong: Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai was arrested on suspicion of collusion with foreign powers, his aide said, in the highest-profile use yet of the new national security law Beijing imposed on the city after protests last year.
Malaysia's ex-finance minister charged again in graft case
Malaysia''s former finance minister pleaded not guilty on Monday to a second corruption charge related to a 1.5 billion undersea tunnel project and slammed the case as a trumped-up charge by the new government.
World donors demand change before money to rebuild Beirut
World leaders and international organisations pledged nearly USD 300 million in emergency humanitarian aid to Beirut in the wake of the devastating explosion, but warned that no money for rebuilding the capital will be made available until Lebanese authorities commit themselves to the political and economic reforms demanded by the people.
Sensex surges over 300 pts in early trade; Nifty tops 11,300
Mumbai: Benchmark Sensex jumped over 300 points in early trade, led by gains in index majors HDFC twins, L&T and Kotak Bank amid sustained foreign fund inflow and positive cues from global markets.
Asian shares mostly higher on stimulus moves, jobs data
Shares were mostly higher in Asia on Monday after President Donald Trump issued executive orders to provide tax relief and stopgap unemployment benefits for Americans hit by the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.
Woods, and his back, have challenging schedule after PGA
San Francisco: Tiger Woods doesn''t know how the strange, compressed schedule will affect him for the rest of the year.
Ferro upsets Kontaveit to win Palermo Open
Fiona Ferro of France upset fourth-seeded Anett Kontaveit of Estonia in the Palermo Ladies Open final to win the first tour-level tennis title in five months.
Atl tico says 2 group members test positive for coronavirus
Two members of Atl tico Madrid''s group set to travel to Portugal for the Champions League quarterfinals tested positive for the coronavirus the first pandemic-related setback among clubs participating in the final stage of Europe''s top club competition.
"What a shot:" Casey can only watch as PGA hopes vanish
Tied for the lead while standing on the 17th tee, Paul Casey heard what passed for a commotion on the largely silent, fan-free golf course.
Zhang wins US Women's Amateur to deny Ruffels a repeat
Rose Zhang thought she might need to withdraw from the U.S. Women''s Amateur because of a left wrist injury. Instead, she didn''t play for 10 days to have her best chance.
GK snap shot on 10 August 2020
1. ICC Retains India as the Host of 2021 Cricket World Cup & Australia to Host 2020 World Cup in 2022
2. IIT-Kharagpur Researchers Bags Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awards 2020 for Clean Energy Research
3. Delhi Airport develops ‘Air Suvidha’ portal for all international arriving passengers across India
4. 78th Anniversary of Quit India Movement – August 08, 2020
5. SII Partnered with Gavi and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to accelerate the manufacture & Delivery of COVID-19 vaccines for India
6. IIT Guwahati, in collaboration with Imperial College London, develops nanoparticle ‘meta-grid’
7. Meghalaya Cabinet Approves Policy on Reservation of Seats for Women in Village Employment Councils
8. Gujarat Announced New Industrial Policy 2020
9. DIAT, Pune wins first prize in Smart India Hackathon 2020
10. Ramesh Pokhriyal Inaugurates Two Day Global Conference on Reimagining and Transforming the University Organised by O.P. Jindal Global University
11. IBBI amends the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (Voluntary Liquidation Process) Regulations, 2017
12. SEBI revised IFSC guidelines, 2015’ eligibility, shareholding limit for clearing corp at IFSC
LAST MONTHS G.K.