GK Snapshots on 13 May 2021
International Nurses Day 2021: May 12
The International Nurses Day (IND) is annually celebrated across the globe on May 12 to highlight the importance of nurses in healthcare and to appreciate their work towards healthcare.
The International Nurses Day marks the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale.
The theme of IND 2021 is Nurses: A Voice to Lead – A vision for future healthcare.
The theme focuses on the changes and innovations in nursing and how to shape the future of healthcare.
MNRE announces new Guidelines for Implementation of CPSU Scheme Phase-II
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has released new guidelines for implementation of Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSU) Scheme Phase-II (Government Producer Scheme). It has revised the Maximum Tariff & reduced the Maximum Permissible Viability Gap Funding (VGF) under the scheme.
• The scheme aims to set up 12, 000 MW grid-connected Solar PV power projects which will be produced by Government Producers.
• Revised Maximum Tariff (i.e the maximum rate a CPSU can charge from Power Distribution Companies) – INR 2.45 per unit (previously it was INR 2.80 per unit).
• Reduced the Maximum Permissible Viability Gap Funding (VGF) to INR 0.55 Crore per MegaWatt (MW) from INR 0.7 Crore per MW earlier.
India’s GDP to grow 7.5% in 2021, 10.1% in 2022: UN
In its mid-year report of the World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP), United Nations(UN) has increased India’s GDP growth forecast for the calendar year 2021 to 7.5 percent, a 0.2 percent increase from its earlier projection (January 2021 projection – 7.3 percent) following a contraction of 6.8 percent (-6.8) in 2020.
• The report forecasted India’s GDP to grow at 10.1 percent in 2022, becoming the fastest-growing major economy in the world.
• United Nations has said that India will be the world’s fastest growing major economy in 2022.
Key points about the Report:
i.The UN stated India’s growth outlook of 2021 as “highly fragile” due to COVID-19.
ii.India’s investment growth fell to 10.2 percent in 2021(3rd largest among the G20 Nations)
iii.The global economy is projected to expand by 5.4 percent in 2021 following a sharp contraction of 3.6 per cent in 2020
iv.South Asia’s economic growth is projected at 6.9 percent in 2021 against a 5.6 percent drop in 2020.
Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted, 1st woman of Asian heritage won the World Food Prize 2021
Indian Descent Dr.Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted, a native of Trinidad and Tobago and a citizen of Denmark, won the 2021 World Food Prize for her research, insights and innovations in developing holistic, nutrition-sensitive approaches to aquaculture and food systems.She becomes the first woman of Asian heritage to receive this award.
• World Food Prize Foundation instituted the World Food Prize Award.
• She was born in 1949 on the Caribbean island of Trinidad.
• The award carries a cash prize of 250,000 USD (around Rs 1.8 crore).
• The award was announced by Barbara Stinson, President of the World Food Prize Foundation.
IREDA Won the “Green Urja Award 2021”
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) under the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) won the Green Urja Award 2021 for its developmental role towards the Green Energy Financing. IREDA won the award for being the Leading Public Institution in Financing Institution for Renewable Energy.
• The award was conferred by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
• Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), IREDA received the award from Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director General, International Solar Alliance(ISA).
Anil Razdan, Chairman of ICC National Expert Committee on Energy was also present during the virtual ceremony.
NASA Spacecraft OSIRIS-REx Heads for Earth With Sample of Asteroid Bennu
National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA)’s Spacecraft Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx), started its 2-year long journey towards earth with the samples- rocks and dust -collected from the Asteroid Bennu.
• The Spacecraft will orbit the sun twice before delivering the samples to the Earth in September 2023.
• The Asteroid Bennu is located around 200 million miles (around 1.9 Astronomical Units) away from Earth.
About OSIRIS-REx: Mission: Travel to near-earth asteroid Bennu and bring a small sample to Earth for study.
i.Spacecraft OSIRIS-REx was launched on 8th September 2016, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station to Asteroid Bennu. ii.The Spacecraft reached Bennu in 2018 and it is estimated to return a sample to Earth in 2023.
iii.The sample collector of OSIRIS-REx is called the Touch-And-Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism (TAGSAM) head. The collected samples were stored in the Sample Return Capsule(SRC).
Boria Majumdar and Gautam Bhattacharya Authored a Book titled “1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness”
A Book titled “1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness” by Boria Majumdar and Gautam Bhattacharya will be published by HarperCollins.
About the Book: This Book is a thrilling account of the 1971 twin tours.i.e. India tour to England.During the Tour to England, India won the Test Series against England.Indian Team was captained by Ajit Wadekar.The Second Tour was India tour to West Indies.During the Tour India won by defeating West Indies.Indian Team was Captained by Ajit Wadekar.
News In Detail
LAST MONTHS G.K.