GK Snapshots on 4 May 2021
World Press Freedom Day 2021 – May 3
The United Nations(UN)’s World Press Freedom Day is annually observed across the globe on 3rd May. The day is dedicated to the freedom of the press and highlights the need for the government and people to respect their commitment to press freedom.
The day focuses on the challenges and issues faced by journalists and other media professionals.
The theme of World Press Freedom Day 2021 is “Information as a Public Good”.
World Tuna Day 2021 – May 2
The United Nations(UN)’s World Tuna Day is annually observed across the globe on 2nd May to create awareness about the importance of Tuna and to promote sustainable fishing practices.
World Tuna Day is observed to promote the conservation and sustainable stock management of deep-sea species.
World Laughter Day: May 2
World Laughter Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday of May and this year it falls on 2nd May.The day is celebrated to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits. More than 70 countries around the world are celebrating World Laughter Day on this occasion
Nirmala Sitharaman Virtually Inaugurated India’s 1st 3D Printed House at IIT-M
Union Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman virtually inaugurated India’s 1st 3D printed house at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M), Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
• The single-storey home has been built in just five days over an area of about 600 sq. ft using ‘Concrete 3D Printing”
NATO Launches Multinational Military Exercise ‘DEFENDER-Europe 21’ in Albania
The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) launched the Joint Multinational Military Exercise ‘DEFENDER-Europe 21’ in the port of Durres in Albania, the exercise began on April 26, 2021 and will go on till June 10, 2021.
• ‘DEFENDER-Europe 21’ is led by the United States (US). It is an annual exercise held between US and NATO Countries to build readiness and interoperability.
• Around 28, 000 US & NATO forces from 26 nations participated in the drills.
• It is the 1st such large-scale drills since World War-II in the Western Balkans region (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, North Macedonia, and Romania and others).
• The drills were conducted simultaneously across more than 30 training areas in 12 countries from Baltics and Africa to Black Sea and Balkan regions.
• It is a defensive exercise and is focused on responding to crisis.
Shyamala Ganesh Received the 3rd Highest Order of Japan, Order of The Rising Sun from The Consulate-General of Japan
Shyamala Ganesh,79, the former director of the Japanese Language School, received the 3rd highest order decoration of Japan, Order of the Rising Sun, under the class Gold and Silver Rays from the Consulate-General of Japan in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
• She received the order for her contribution in spreading the Japanese culture and language in Karnataka and other parts of India and for promoting the friendship and goodwill between Japan and India.
T Rabi Sankar appointed as the 4th Deputy Governor of RBI
The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed T Rabi Sankar, the Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India(RBI) as the 4th Deputy Governor of RBI. ACC has cleared his appointment for a period of 3 years or till his date of superannuation.
• He succeeds B P Kanungo, who retired on 2nd April 2021 after serving one year extension period.
• He is also incharge of the payments system, fintech, information technology and risk management at the RBI.
Former Supreme Court Judge P C Pant appointed Acting Chairperson of NHRC
Justice (retired) Prafulla Chandra Pant (PC Pant), a Former Supreme Court Judge had been appointed as Acting Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) with effect from April 25, 2021.He Succeeds Justice H.L. Dattu, whose tenure ended on December 2, 2020.
• His appointment was authorized by President of India, Ram Nath Kovind.
• The term of office of the NHRC Chairperson and members of the NHRC is for five years or till the age of 70 years, whichever is earlier.
Vijay Goel Takes Additional Charge as the CMD of THDC India Ltd
• Vijay Goel, Director(Personnel) of THDC India Limited (THDCIL) has taken over the additional charge as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of THDCIL from May 1, 2021.He Succeeds Dhirendra Veer Singh (DV Singh), whose tenure ends on April 30, 2021.
World’s Largest Aeroplane built by Stratolaunch completes Test Flight
The World’s Largest Aeroplane codenamed ‘Roc’ successfully completed its 2nd Test Flight. The Aeroplane being built by Stratolaunch, an US based Aerospace Company was tested at Mojave Air and Space Port in California, US.
• The Aeroplane has 2 flights under its belt and has a wingspan of 385 feet (117 feet).
• It is designed to transport hypersonic vehicles and facilitate easy access to space. It is also capable of launching rockets from high altitude.
• It is capable of carrying 550, 000-pound payload and can achieve a top speed of up to 190 mph (320 kph).
• The 1st flight of the Aeroplane was done in April, 2019.
SpaceX Returns 4 Astronauts to Earth from ISS; in a Rare Night Splashdown off Florida coast
On May 02,2021, a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule, Resilience carrying 4 astronauts returned from the International Space Station(ISS) and splashdown into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Panama City, Florida, USA after a six-and-a-half-hour flight.
• Since the arrival of Apollo 8 in the Pacific Ocean on December 27, 1968, this was the U.S. crew’s first night time splashdown (in darkness).
• The 4 Astronauts were: Victor Glover, Mike Hopkins and Shannon Walker (3 from America) and Soichi Noguchi (one from Japan)
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 Portugese GP 2021;Jack Miller wins 2021 Spanish Grand Prix of MotoGP
Mercedes’ driver Lewis Hamilton (Britain) won the Portuguese Grand Prix 2021 of Formula One (F1) held at Algarve International Circuit in Portimao, Portugal. It is Hamilton’s 97th Career Victory.
Sri Lankan Cricketer Thisara Perera retires from International Cricket
Sri Lanka all-rounder and former limited overs captain for Sri Lanka – Thisara Perera announced his retirement from International Cricket at the age of 32.
ICC Banned Sri Lanka’s Nuwan Zoysa from Cricket for 6 years due to Corruption
In April 2021, the International Cricket Council (ICC) banned SriLanka’s former cricket player and coach Nuwan Zoysa for 6 years from all forms of cricket after found breaching the ICCs anti-corruption code. On October 31, 2018, he was provisionally suspended by ICC.
Satyajit Ray’s book “Another Dozen Stories” translated from Bengali to English by Indrani Majumdar
Satyajit Ray’s book titled “Another Dozen Stories” is translated from Bengali to English by Indrani Majumdar. The book was released on 2nd May 2021, the 100th Birth anniversary of Satyajit Ray, one of India’s greatest filmmakers.
• The foreword of the book was written by veteran actress Sharmila Tagore.
• The book was published by Penguin India.
LAST MONTHS G.K.