GK Snapshots on 10 November 2021
National Legal Services Day 2021 – November 9
National Legal Services Day is annually observed across India on 9th November to commemorate the enactment of the Legal Services Authorities Act 1987 to provide a “statutory base to legal aid programmes” in India on a uniform pattern.
The day also aims to create awareness about the various provisions related to the Legal Services Authorities Act.
The National Legal Services Day was started in 1995 by the Supreme Court of India to offer legal services free of charge to people from the weaker and poorer sections of society.
DBT-Star College: Dr. Jitendra Singh launched 1st Mentorship Programme for Young Innovators
As a part of 75th Year of India’s independence, Minister of State (Independent Charge) Dr Jitendra Singh, Ministry of Science & Technology (MoST) launched the first-ever Mentorship Programme for Young Innovators on November 8, 2021, namely ‘DBT-Star College Mentorship Programme’
• It is a pan India Scheme envisaging Star College in every district supported by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
What will be done under this program?
i.Under this Mentorship Programme, the Star Status Colleges under the Star College Scheme will organize workshops, meetings per month; handhold at colleges particularly in the rural areas or lesser endowed areas and conduct outreach activities with government schools.
ii.The program will enhance scientific and technological innovations and enable newer colleges to come up as per the mandate of Star College scheme.
‘Srinagar’ joins UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network for 2021
On 8th November 2021, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) selected India’s Srinagar,a capital of Jammu & Kashmir as one among the 49 cities selected under UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) for 2021.Srinagar becomes the sixth Indian City to receive this recognition.
• Srinagar is selected under the craft and folk arts category.
• Other Cities included in 2021 UCCN – Abu Dhabi (UAE), Doha (Qatar) and Bursa (Turkey)
Other Indian Cities under UCCN List:
• Jaipur – Crafts and Folk Arts(2015)
• Varanasi-Creative city of Music (2015)
• Chennai-Creative city of Music(2017)
• Mumbai – Film (2019)
• Hyderabad – Gastronomy (2019)
Govt Awarded Swarnajayanti Fellowships 2020-2021 to 17 Scientists
The Government of India has awarded the Swarnajayanti Fellowships Scheme 2020-2021 for innovative research ideas to 17 scientists from scientific institutions across India. The fellowship recognises the potential of the scientists in creating an impact on the Research and Development(R&D) in different disciplines.
• The awardees under the scheme are facilitated by the Department of Science & Technology(DST), under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
About the Swarnajayanti Fellowships:
i.The Swarnajayanti Fellowship scheme was instituted in 1997 by the government of India to commemorate the 50th year of Independence.
ii.Under this scheme, the young scientists who have a proven track record will be provided with special assistance and support to enable them to pursue basic research in frontier areas of science and technology.
Duration: The duration of the fellowship will not exceed 5 years.
Amitabh Bachchan appointed as Brand Ambassador of Amway India
Amway India appoints Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan as their brand ambassador. As a part of the momentous association, he will endorse the brand Amway and all the Nutrilite products by Amway.
• Through guided mentorship he will encourage women and youth empowerment.
SDMC appointed ‘Jasbir Jassi’ as Brand Ambassador
The South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) appointed Punjabi singer Jasbir Jassi as its brand ambassador, as part of its plan to improve the ranking in the 2022 Swachh Bharat survey.
• SDMC has identified five brand ambassadors for the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM), including Jasbir Jassi and Ruby Makhija, to organize events at important locations.
• A decision was also passed to implement Revised Plastic Management Rules, 2021 and it was decided that there should be a complete ban on plastic thinner than 120 microns.
My11Circle appoints Mohammed Siraj as its Brand Ambassador
Games24x7 fantasy cricket platform ‘My11Circle’ announced Indian Cricketer Mohammad Siraj as its new brand ambassador.
• Mohammed Siraj is a part of Indian National Cricket team, and also plays for the Royal Challengers Bangalore team in the IPL.
• Other brand ambassadors of My11Circle – Saurav Ganguly, Ajinkya Rahane, VVS Laxman etc.
• My11Circle recently launched its latest campaign called ‘Game ke Deewane’.
Note – Bhavin Pandya is the Co-founder & CEO of Games24x7
Rishabh Pant becomes Brand Ambassador Hercules Bicycle
The Indian cricketer, Rishabh Pant has been selected as the brand ambassador for Hercules, a bicycle brand owned by TI (Tube Investments) of India limited.
• He will promote the cycling culture amongst urban teenagers of the country.
Japan Launches Epsilon Small Rocket Carrying 9 Satellites
On 9th November 2021, The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched a small, low cost Epsilon rocket with 9 satellites from Japan’s Uchinoura Space Center at Kagoshima to promote educational institutions and companies in space development.
• The 9 Satellites were developed by Private Companies & enterprises, While one of them was jointly developed by 10 national institutes of technology.
• JAXA already launched Epsilon in 2019 with 7 satellites sent into space.
i.The Rocket measures 2.6 meters in diameter and 26 meters in length and weighs 96 tons which carries nine satellites.
Main Payload – Rapid Innovative Payload Demonstration Satellite 2, or
RAISE 2 which is a technology demonstrator that weighs 240 pound (120 kilogram).
• RAISE 2 spacecraft was built by Mitsubishi Electric Corp
Other Payload – 8 satellites, that were manufactured by various organisations.
• Among the satellites DRUMS (Debris Removal Unprecedented Micro-satellite) built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries is designed to clean space junk.
Chess: IM Mitrabha Guha of Kolkata Named as India’s 72nd Grandmaster
International Master(IM) Mitrabha Guha (20 years old), from Kolkata, West Bengal has become the 72nd Grandmaster of India after securing his 3rd and final Grandmaster(GM) norm at GM Third Saturday Mix 220, Novi Sad, Serbia. He won this 3rd GM norm against GM Nikola Sedlak of Serbia.
• Mitrabha Guha scored his 2nd GM norm at the Sheikh Russel International GM Tournament 2021, Bangladesh.
• Mitrabha Guha(world rank 770) secured the IM title in 2019 and FIDE Master (FM) title in 2009.
i.FIDE titles are awarded by the International Chess Federation (FIDE – Fédération Internationale des Échecs) for outstanding performance.
• Titles for over-the-board standard chess are Grandmaster (GM), International Master (IM), FIDE Master (FM), Candidate Master (CM), Woman Grandmaster (WGM), Woman International Master (WIM), Woman FIDE Master (WFM), Woman Candidate Master (WCM).
GM Norm: According to the FIDE, to Achieve FIDE’s GM Title, a player has to secure 3 GM norms and cross the live rating of 2500 Elo points.
LAST MONTHS G.K.