Trump donors among early recipients of coronavirus loans
Washington: As much as USD 273 million in federal coronavirus aid was awarded to more than 100 companies that are owned or operated by major donors to President Donald Trump''s election efforts, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal data.
Hospitals approaching capacity as Miami closes restaurants
Hospitals rapidly approached capacity in Florida and Texas, and the Miami area closed restaurants again Monday because of the surging coronavirus, as the US emerged from a Fourth of July weekend of picnics, pool parties and beach outings that health officials fear could fuel the rapidly worsening outbreak.
France: Macron ousts security chief after police protests
French President Emmanuel Macron ousted his top security official Monday following protests over police brutality, as part of a government shakeup aimed at focusing on France''s post-pandemic economic recovery for the remaining two years of Macron''s term.
Appeals court deals 2nd blow to Trump asylum policy
A federal appeals court on Monday blocked a key US policy to deny asylum to anyone who passes through another country without first seeking protection there, dealing it a second blow in less than a week.
Sensex opens over 100 pts higher on firm global cues
Mumbai: Equity benchmark Sensex jumped over 100 points in early trade tracking positive cues from global indices, easing border tension with China and foreign fund inflows.
Samsung projects 23% jump in 2Q profit on strong chip sales
Samsung Electronics Co. said Tuesday its operating profit for the last quarter likely rose 23% from the same period last year, helped by robust demand for memory chips used in personal computers and servers as the coronavirus pandemic has more people working from home.
Rupee slips 6 paise to 74.74 against US dollar in early trade
The rupee depreciated 6 paise to 74.74 against the US dollar in opening trade on Tuesday on strengthening American currency even as domestic equities started on a positive note.
Assam invites textile firms to invest in state, assures customised support to ventures
The Assam government has invited textile companies to invest in the state, assuring customised support to their business ventures.
Mourinho delighted by Lloris-Son clash during Tottenham win
London: When Tottenham captain Hugo Lloris confronted Son Heung-min on the field at halftime, Jose Mourinho was far from annoyed.
Asymptomatic All-Star slugger Gallo tests positive for virus
All-Star slugger Joey Gallo tested positive for the coronavirus, forcing the outfielder who is asymptomatic to miss the start of summer camp for the Texas Rangers after being among teammates who had worked out at their new ballpark for several weeks before that.
FC Dallas withdraws from the MLS is Back tournament
FC Dallas has withdrawn from the MLS is Back tournament in Florida after 10 players tested positive for coronavirus.
GK snap shot on 7 July 2020
1. World Zoonoses Day 2020: July 6
2. 3rd Anniversary of GST day 2020: July 1
3. India Ranked 117th in SDG Index 2020, Sweden Tops: Sustainable Development Report 2020
4. India Ranked 31st in INFORM Risk Index 2020 for Humanitarian crises & Disasters; Somalia Tops
5. Elyments – India’s First Social Media Super App Launched by the Vice President of India
6. Indian Railways Sets up Solar Plant in Bina to Supply Power Directly on the Railway Overhead Line
7. Akash Become India’s 66th Grandmaster
8. India’s First NPNT Compliant Drone Flight Successfully Completed by Quidich & Asteria Aerospace
9. IIT Roorkee Develops “Unisaviour” – Disinfection Box to Sterilise Personal Belongings
10. CBSE Partners With Facebook For Curriculum on Digital Safety, Augmented Reality
11. DRDO to establish a research cell at IIT-H to meet the future defence technological requirements
12.India-Afghanistan inked 5 MoUs for development of educational infrastructure in Afghanistan
13. SBM Bank India Partnered with Mastercard to facilitate Real-time domestic & cross-border payments & remittances through ‘Mastercard Send’
14. NHRC Constitutes 11-Member Committee Headed by K S Reddy to Assess Covid-19 Impact on Human Rights
15. Israel Successfully Launches New Spy Satellite ‘Ofek 16’ into Space Using Shavit Rocket
16. Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel Authored a Book Titled ‘Overdraft: Saving the Indian Saver’
17.Getting Competitive: A Practitioner’s Guide for India authored by R C Bhargava, Chairman of Maruti Suzuki on Industrialising India
LAST MONTHS G.K.