Trump signs executive orders banning Chinese apps TikTok & Wechat
Washington: US President Donald Trump has signed executive orders banning TikTok and WeChat, terming the popular Chinese apps a threat to the country''s national security and economy.
UN reports sharp increase in cybercrime during pandemic
United Nations, Aug 7 (AP) A 350% increase in phishing websites was reported in the first quarter of the year, many targeting hospitals and health care systems and hindering their work responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UN counterterrorism chief has said.
US: Border tunnel appears to be 'most sophisticated'
An incomplete tunnel found stretching from Arizona to Mexico appears to be the most sophisticated tunnel in US history," authorities said.
Playing electoral defence, Trump claims Biden opposes God
Cleveland (US): President Donald Trump billed his trip to Ohio as a chance to promote economic recovery, but he quickly pivoted to a deeply personal attack on Joe Biden, even questioning without foundation the former vice president''s faith in God.
Sensex drops over 200 pts in opening trade; Nifty below 11,200
Mumbai: Benchmark Sensex dropped over 200 points in early trade, dragged by losses in HDFC Bank, Infosys and ICICI Bank amid weak cues from global markets.
Vodafone Idea shares plunge nearly 8 pc on Q1 loss
Shares of Vodafone Idea on Friday tumbled nearly 8 per cent after the company reported widening of net loss to Rs 25,460 crore in the June quarter.
Rupee edges 4 paise lower to 74.98 against US dollar in early deals
The rupee traded marginally lower at 74.98 against the US dollar, down 4 paise, in early deals on Friday due to emergence of demand for the American currency from banks and importers.
London Marathon to feature only elite runners, unique route
London: The pandemic-delayed London Marathon will be staged on October 4 using a different route than usual and with only elite runners participating.
Sevilla and Wolves win to reach Europa League quarterfinals
Sevilla beat Roma 2-0 in the round of 16 to stay in the hunt for a record sixth Europa League title, as Wolverhampton, Bayer Leverkusen and Basel also qualified for the quarterfinals.
66 players opt out of NFL season due to coronavirus pandemic
A total of 66 players have opted out of the 2020 NFL season due to the coronavirus pandemic, nearly half of them linemen.
Olympic skater Alvarez achieves another goal: his MLB debut
Miami Marlins manager Don Mattingly knew about Eddy Alvarez''s background as an Olympic medalist in speedskating, and also knew that didn''t necessarily mean he could hit a slider.
GK snap shot on 8 August 2020
1. Hiroshima Day 2020 – August 6
2. FutureBrand Index 2020: Reliance Industries Ranked 2nd Biggest Brand after Apple on Top
3. Manoj Sinha appointed as Lt Governor of J&K; Succeeds Girish Chandra Murmu
4. ‘Moothon’ and ‘Son Rise’ wins awards at 20th edition of New York Indian Film Festival
5. Airtel Payments Bank partnered with Bharti AXA General Insurance to offer “Smart Plan Shop Package Policy”
6. Global remittances may lose $108.6 bn in 2020: ADB
7. Indian Express Journalist Dipankar Ghose and PARI, a Non-Profit Journalism Website Bags Prem Bhatia award 2020
8. Win Trade Fantasy Sports(WTF) appoints Suresh Raina, Harmanpreet Kaur as global brand ambassadors
9. Indian Railways introduces OHE Inspection app for real-time monitoring
10. Yatish Yadav’s new book ‘RAW: A History of India’s Covert Operations’ offers a peek into the exploits of Indian spymasters
11. Haryana Govt launched Mahila Evam Kishori Samman Yojana & Mukhya Mantri Doodh Uphar Yojana for state’s girls & women
12. Chhattisgarh govt launched Shaheed Mahendra Karma Tendupatta Sangrahak Samajik Suraksha Yojana for tendu leaves collectors
13. Punjab CM Amarinder Singh launches ‘Pride of Punjab’ partnership of State Govt, YuWaah for youth development
LAST MONTHS G.K.