GK Snapshots on 4 December 2021
International Day of Persons with Disabilities 2021 – December 3
The United Nations(UN)’s International Day of Persons with Disabilities is annually observed across the globe on 3rd December to create awareness about the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
• The day also aims to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development,
The theme of International Day of Persons with Disabilities 2021 is “Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world.”.
United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy:
i.The United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy was launched in June 2019, supports the foundation for sustainable and transformative progress on disability inclusion through the pillars of the work of the UN.
ii.Through this strategy, UN systems reaffirm the complete realization that the human rights of all persons with disabilities are an integral part of all human rights.
iii.In October 2021, UN Secretary-General António Guterres presented the 2nd report on the steps taken by the UN to implement the UN Disability Inclusion Strategy in 2020.
India-EU adopted Clean Energy & Climate Partnership 2021-2023
The 9th India-EU (European Union) Energy Panel held which was co-chaired by Reenat Sandhu, the Secretary of India’s Ministry of External Affairs (West), and Ms. Mechthild Worsdorfer, Deputy Director-General for Energy, European Commission (EC).
• During the meeting both sides agreed on a detailed work programme 2021-2023, to implement the 2016 India-EU Clean Energy and Climate Partnership.
Devusinh Chauhan MoS for Communications Released Commemorative Stamp to Mark 75 Years of Mahindra Group
Devusinh Chauhan, Minister of State(MoS) for Communications, has unveiled the commemorative postage stamp to mark the 75th anniversary of the Mahindra Group. He also urged the group to collaborate with the postal department to improve the delivery of social services in the rural areas
• During the event, the First Day Cover (FDC) and an Information Brochure were also released.
• The Commemorative Postage Stamp, FDC and Information Brochure would be available for sale at Philatelic Bureaux and they can also be ordered online on https://www.epostoffice.gov.in/.
Key People: Anand Mahindra, Chairman of Mahindra Group, Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister of Communications were also present during the event.
India achieves target of 40% Power Generation Capacity from Non-Fossil Fuel Sources
In accordance with the ministry of new and renewable energy (MNRE), India has achieved the target of 40% power generation capacity to 156.83 GW (Giga Watt) from non-fossil fuel sources in November 2021.
• Now, India’s installed renewable energy (RE) capacity stands at 150.05 GW, while its nuclear energy-based installed electricity capacity is 6.78 GW.
• This 156.83 GW non-fossil fuels based installed energy capacity is 40.1% of the total installed electricity capacity of 390.8 GW.
• According to the government, installed power capacity from non-fossil fuels will go up to 66% by 2030. Also, India has already reached an emission reduction of 28%.
• Note – India announced to cut net carbon emissions to zero by 2070 at COP26 in Glasgow.
Indian Army Received Israel’s Heron Drones For Deployment in Ladakh Sector
The Indian Army has received the advanced Heron Drones from Israel to boost the army’s surveillance capabilities. The drones will be deployed in the eastern Ladakh sector. The drones were received under the emergency procurement clause to monitor the Chinese activities in Ladakh sector.
• The acquisition of the drones under the emergency financial powers granted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the government to the Defence forces.
• Under this powers, the defence can buy equipment and systems worth Rs 500 crores to upgrade the war fighting capabilities. Under this facility, The Indian army has also leased 2 Predator drones from the American Firm General Atomics.
South Korea to Get World’s Sustainable First Floating City by 2025
South Korea is set to get the World’s first floating city, a joint effort by OCEANIX and the United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habit), which is likely to be completed by 2025. The floating city will be developed on the coast of Busan, South Korea, to tackle the problem of rising sea levels.
• In November 2021, Busan Metropolitan City of the Republic of Korea, UN-Habitat, and New York designers OCEANIX, signed an agreement to build the world’s first sustainable floating city.
Delhi’s Nizamuddin Revival Project won 2 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2021
Nizamuddin Revival Project, India’s project on the holistic urban revitalisation of the historic Nizamuddin Basti community, in New Delhi, Delhi has won the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation 2021 under 2 categories: Award of Excellence and Special Recognition for Sustainable Development.
Assam govt.conferred ‘Asom Baibhav Award’ to industrialist Ratan Tata
On the occasion of Asom Divas or Assam Day, the Chief Minister (CM) of Assam Himanta Biswa Sarma conferred the prestigious ‘Asom Baibhav’ 2021 award to Ratan Tata, Chairman of TATA Trusts for contributing towards cancer care services in Assam.
• It is the highest civilian award of Assam.
• Assam day is celebrated on 2 December to commemorate the rule of Chalong Sukapha.
• The Assam Ratna award from now onwards will be known as Asom Baibhav, Assam Vibhushan as Asom Saurav and Assam Bhusan and Assam Shree award as Asom Gaurav.
Gita Gopinath appointed as the IMF’s First Deputy Managing Director
Indian-American and the first female Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Gita Gopinath is promoted as the IMF’s First Deputy Managing Director (FDMD) serving under IMF Chief Kristalina Georgieva. She will succeed FDMD Geoffrey Okamoto who is set to be relived from IMF.
Saurav Ghosal won Malaysian Open Squash Championships 2021; Became 1st Indian To Win The Championship
Indian Squash player Saurav Ghosal won the Malaysian Open Squash Championships 2021, defeating Colombia’s Miguel Rodriguez in the men’s singles final held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
• Saurav Ghosal, seeded two and ranked 15th in the world, became the 1st Indian to win the Malaysian Open Squash Championships.
• The Malaysian Open Squash Championships 2021 was held from 23rd to 27th November 2021.
Malaysia’s Aifa Azman won the women’s singles title of the 2021 Malaysian Open squash championships 2021.
LAST MONTHS G.K.