International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2021 – October 13
The United Nations(UN)’s International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR) is annually observed across the globe on October 13th to promote the culture of risk awareness and disaster reduction and to recognise the progress towards reducing disaster risk and loss of lives, livelihoods and health.
• The day also highlights the efforts of people and communities across the globe toward reducing exposure to disasters and to create awareness about the importance of controlling the risk they face.
IDDRR 2021 focuses on ‘International cooperation for developing countries to reduce their disaster risk and disaster losses’. This is the 6th target of the Sendai Seven targets.
i.The allocations for emergency response are around 20 times higher than the allocation for prevention and preparedness, countering sustainable principles.
ii.The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 – 2030, emphasized cities, which are the front lines in dealing with disasters.
iii.Cities are vulnerable to frequent and extreme weather hazards, like storms, climate change impacts, including water shortages, environmental degradation and unsafe construction in seismic zones
World Thrombosis Day 2021 – October 13
World Thrombosis Day(WTD) is annually observed across the globe on October 13th to create awareness about Thrombosis, the formation of a blood clot, known as a thrombus, within a blood vessel. The day aims to highlight the issues of thrombosis and the importance of thrombosis risk assessment.
• 13th October 2021, marks the observance of the 8th World Thrombosis Day(WTD).
Eyes Open to Thrombosis ‘Eyes Open to Thrombosis’, a dedicated campaign developed to create awareness about Thrombosis.
• ISTH, launched campaign centred on the theme “Eyes Open to Thrombosis” in 2020.
Aim: to increase global awareness of thrombosis, including its causes, risk factors, signs or symptoms and evidence-based prevention and treatment.
World Egg Day 2021 – 8th October
World Egg Day is annually observed across the globe on the 2nd Friday of October to create awareness about the benefits of the consumption of eggs. The day aims to highlight the nutritional value of eggs and their significance as a solution to solve the issues of malnutrition. World Egg day 2021 was observed on 8th October 2021, which marks the 25th anniversary of World Egg Day.
• World Egg Day 2020 was observed on 9th October 2020
• World Egg Day 2022 will fall on 14th October 2022.
The theme of World Egg Day 2021 is “Eggs for ALL: Nature’s Perfect Package”.
National Conference for Zoo Directors & Veterinarians 2021 held in Gujarat; Prani Mitra Awards 2021 conferred
On October 10-11, 2021, a two-day National conference for zoo directors and veterinarians 2021 was hosted by Sardar Patel Zoological Park, Kevadia, Gujarat. Organized by Central Zoo Authority (CZA), it was attended by Union Minister Bhupender Yadav, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC).
• At the valedictory, Mrs Sudha Murthy, Chairperson Infosys Foundation was felicitated.
• An outreach movie titled ‘Live in harmony with nature, stop illegal trade in wildlife’ produced by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) was also released during the conference.
Aim of Conference:
To discuss and volunteer the new frontiers in zoo management and off-site conservation in the country
i.Union Environment Minister encouraged zoos to become financially independent and consider CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) and public private partnerships.
ii.There should be focus on local birds and animals as priority species for conservation.
iii.As of today there are more than 150 recognized zoos and rescue centers in the country that adhere to the guidelines and high standards of wild animal welfare.
Prani Mitra Awards 2021:
The dignitaries also gave away the CZA constituted annual Prani Mitra Awards that are given under 4 categories of – outstanding contribution by zoo director/ curator, biologist/ educationists, veterinarian and the animal keeper/ zoo frontline.
Outstanding Animal Keeper
Shrimati Lakhidevi, Bhagwan Birsa zoological Park, Ranchi Jharkhand
Outstanding Educationist/ Biologist
Harpal Singh, Educationist Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park Chatbir, Punjab
Dr Illiyaraja, Agra Bear Rescue Facility, Uttar Pradesh
Dr Vibhu Prakash Mathur, Director Vulture Conservation Breeding Centre, Pinjore Haryana
Power Finance Corporation receives Maharatna status
Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC) was accorded the status of ‘Maharatna central public sector enterprise (CPSE)’ by the Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Finance.This status is giving the PFC for greater operational and financial autonomy.
• PFC is the largest infrastructure finance company exclusively dedicated to the power sector under the administrative control of the power ministry.
Centre plans to increase PMBJKs to 10,000 by 2024
The Government of India has set a target to increase the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs) to 10,000 across the country by March 2024.
• Till October 10, 2021, a total of 8,366 Janaushadhi Kendras have been increased across 736 districts in the country.
• Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India(PMBI) is the implementing agency of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana, under the aegis of Department of Pharmaceuticals.
• As many as 1,451 drugs and 240 surgical instruments are under product basket of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
IMF Retained India’s 2021 GDP Growth Forecast to 9.5%
In its October 2021 World Economic Outlook (WEO) titled ‘Recovery During a Pandemic Health Concerns, Supply Disruptions, and Price Pressures’, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has retained India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for 2021 unchanged at 9.5 percent (July 2021 forecast).
• India’s GDP growth forecast for 2022 was also unchanged at 8.5 percent.
LAST MONTHS G.K.